After 37 years I finally got to say goodbye. If you have followed my blog for awhile, you know that I lost a friend when I was younger. I was 11. Bobby was 10. He was hit and killed by a truck on Feb. 5, 1975. I never got to say goodbye. I was shielded by my parents. They meant well but, it created problems for me in the years since. I finally found his sister through Facebook about a year ago and she gave me the info I needed.
Today I made the 90 minute trip to the cemetery where Bobby was laid to rest. I went alone to seek out the peace I have longed for all these years. Despite the cold I sat there for almost 2 hours talking to my friend. Filling him in on my life. Telling him how much I regret that he missed out on so much. I really had expected this to be a day filled with tears but, it has not been. I did get really choked up a few times and I was ready to let go but the tears just never came. I left there with a sense of peace. A sense of happiness.
Time will tell if this changes my life at all but, for now I finally got to say good bye to my friend. I know I will go back. Next time Bobby's sister will meet me there. I love and miss you greatly my friend........
2 comments:
Im so glad that you got this chance....its important for you to be able to say goodbye and thou it took alot of years you finally got to....I bet it helps make this time of the year a little easier for you. (hugz)
It's been a long time since I've been in the blog world. I am so happy to read your post today. It is so important that you get to say goodbye. I hope the past few months since you wrote this post you have felt relief and closer. Hugs from a blog friend!!! :-)
Post a Comment